Chai Detox (France), 500g
Regular price $29.90
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Chai, masala chai, or masala tea, is a decoction made with spices and drunk throughout India. It is a welcoming drink. Spices are widely used in ayurvedic medicine, an age-old science developed in India which takes into consideration every aspect of the human body and mind (from the most abstract aspects like the soul to the most tangible and physical aspects like the body). The best way to prepare a cup of chai is to make a decoction, boiling the spices for 15 minutes in water. Leave the mix to cool slightly, then strain and enjoy. Decoction rather than infusion is better for liberating the aromas fully and releasing the spices’ calming virtues.
But if you prefer an infusion, go ahead : Infuse the Chai detox spices for 10 minutes in a tea filter or paper filter. Be careful not to leave the filter in for too long or you might have a very strong brew.
Chai latte : Make your decoction with water and milk (or even just with milk). You can also add black tea and sugar.
To make your very own India chai : boil 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water. Add 2 teaspoons of crushed spices, 1 teaspoon of black tea, 2 to 3 teaspoons of sugar. Leave to boil for 15 minutes. Strain and enjoy! Whilst in the West we use spices in small quantities in cooking to add a hint of spice to our dishes, ayurvedic tradition uses spices widely to purify the mind and body.
Chai detox is made using the following spices:
- Ceylon cinnamon: a universal remedy, this warming spice is used as an expectorant. In ayurvedic medicine it is used to relieve winter ailments, digestive problems, joint pains and toothache.
- Ginger has the same benefits as cinnamon and is also an excellent physical and mental stimulant, without being an excitant.
- Fennel is an excellent tonic for the stomach and the intestines. It has diuretic and anaesthetic properties.
- Green anise is very efficient for treating digestive problems and combatting general fatigue.
- Liquorice helps digestion and stimulates the immune system.